Wednesday 17 April 2013

The Art of Listening



Have you ever noticed that words come easy, but listening not-so-much?  Anyone in a relationship knows this well.  Listening is an art; something we need to practice if we're going to enjoy rich relationships.  The same goes for our relationship with God.  Whether prayers or conversations with friends, the voices within us and around us clamour for our attention, making it hard to hear - to really hear - what someone else is saying.

During the weeks following Easter and before Pentecost, Burns Church, the congregation I serve with, is honing the art of listening.  Each week we go to the lectionary texts and ask what they might tell us about this skill.

Peter & John see a man walking on the beach.  Only after their nets are filled with fish do they realize its Jesus!  Two friends are journeying to Emmaus when they're joined by a third who explains that the grief of the past week had to happen. Then suddenly, he's gone, and they know its the Christ.  Listening is less about how the message is said, and more about expecting, anticipating, even straining to hear it.

Ahh, but I find myself getting so sidetracked by the voices.  Yes, there are voices in my head.  And all around me.  In my prayers, these argue for my attention.  The bombing in Boston, the relative's illness, the temper tantrum I threw.  These voices tell me things like, "The world has gone mad," "Life is only struggle," and "You'll never be good enough".   And so my prayers are limited to lamenting the circumstances, listing all the things God should do, and confessing my sins.

These aren't bad, they're just not enough.  One person talking doesn't lead to a deep and meaningful relationship.  How can we sift through the voices and listen for the whisper of the Almighty?  How can we experience God's words of hope, compassion and assurance?

Silence.  Reflection.  Attention. Humility.  These are some of the ways I've been thinking about.

Will I spend time silently listening after my words are spent?
Will I chew and reflect on what God says in the scripture and in those quiet listening times?
Will I notice where love and goodness are present in the world?
Will I accept that I don't have all the answers?

Ok, fair enough.  These aren't the easiest things to practise.  In a world filled with places to be and people to see, listening doesn't come naturally.  Its an art, and like all arts, it must be practised, tested, tweaked and tried.

If we will, I can imagine that other relationships will benefit too.  Whether with friends, partners or children, the joy of good relationships come to those who put the effort into honing the art of listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment